If you’ve been wondering whether I’d be open to a school visit, I have great news:
I’m Now Offering Virtual School Visits 🥳
“Afoma is perhaps an even more engaging, welcoming presenter than she is a blogger.”
what to expect from a school visit with me
As an experienced reader and book blogger, I have plenty to share about the joys and benefits of reading. I inspire kids to get more out of their reading lives and consider more ways to enjoy creative expression. I can also provide an insightful (and sometimes funny) look into the life of a kid lit blogger.
With my experience as a former book editor, I also offer insight into the writing process and what makes a good book.
My presentations are typically customized for your class’s needs, so I’m happy to discuss this with you. Usually, I do an hour long presentation. It includes a 15-20 minute presentation, a short Q & A, and an interactive reading or writing activity to engage the kids.
“We absolutely loved you. You have such a warm, natural way of working with students; they felt so special. Thank you again. We are incredibly grateful for your time, expertise, and kindness. And now I have some students who dream of being a book blogger – how amazing!”
30-Minute Q & A Only $150
- I’d love to come answer all your kids’ questions about books, reading, writing, and blogging for 30 mins.
1-hour Virtual School Visit $250
- I share a prepared presentation, allow for 10-15 minutes of Q & A, and an interactive activity (or a customized program part of your choice).
Here’s why you should work with me
A few things to know about my background:
- Teaching experience: I’ve taught kids from K-5 as a class tutor and during a summer reading club I organized in 2019.
- Extensive reading and writing experience: I’ve been writing fiction since I was in my teens and have been published in multiple literary magazines. As a kid lit book blogger, I read 100+ books yearly and have experience recommending books for a range of readers.
- Engaging delivery: I love working with kids and it shows! I also prioritize engagement/interaction in my presentations, so kids enjoy every minute.
What Teachers & Kids Are Saying
Here’s what some teachers and kids have said about my school visits:
Afoma was an incredible virtual guest speaker for my fifth graders in South Korea. She promptly emailed to set up the event, asked important questions to tailor the presentation to our students, and was overall responsive and professional. She also checked in a few days before to ensure everything was set up and to notify me about the materials students would need. When it came to the presentation day, she quickly built rapport with students and shared an engaging presentation with us about her work and reading life. Afoma made each student she spoke with feel special and seen as she answered their questions and viewed what they had created for her activity. As a class, we had a wonderful discussion on how many of our favorite books were recommended by her Reading Middle Grade blog, so it was even more meaningful to have her presenting to us. I also loved hearing students excitedly talk of wanting to be a book blogger like Afoma when they grow up, too. I would highly recommend that teachers – regardless of their school’s location – connect with Afoma to set up a presentation for your school or class.– Nicole, teacher